Transform your team into a data-driven CX engine

Dashbot's Conversational Data Platform pulls in multi-channel conversational data to make it actionable across the entire organization



Understand "what" your customer said and "why" they said it, at scale

Most businesses have a good understanding of what their customers did (opened an email, clicked on a link, purchased a product, etc). But most businesses don't have an understanding of what their customers said and why they said it. Across your entire organization, uncover the hidden insights behind what your customers are saying to drive business impact and improve your Customer Experience.

Pain #1

Most conversational data is "dark" and unstructured

Up to 90% of the data that businesses collect is "dark data" — unstructured conversational data that is unusable.

Pain #2

Difficulty understanding the full customer journey

Your customers have conversations across multiple channels, but it's challenging to unify this journey.

Pain #3

Difficulty extracting actionable insights at scale

With so many conversations coming in from different channels, how can you automatically extract insights to take action on for the business?

What if you could analyze 100% of your conversations?

Expand your Voc Coverage

For most businesses, less than 5% of customers complete the post-call survey but this is the most valuable piece of data because it's the only time you get to interview your customer.What if you could extract insights from the other 95%?


All of your CX data at your fingertips

Dashbot's conversational data platform not only unifies all of your different data sources, we do the transformation of your unstructured conversational data so you can simply have all of your CX data at your fingers to monitor, analyze, and act upon.


Finally visualize the full customer journey

Integrate your CX channels and see the full multi-channel customer journey for the first time to begin optimizing the user experience. When a customer goes from the chatbot, to live chat, then escalates to a live agent, to then communicating through email — you can now stitch it all together.


No-code data tools to extract insights at scale

Eliminate the dependency on your technical resources to pull data and insights for you by utilizing our no-code, flexible, and intuitive data exploration tools. Slice and dice your data in many different ways, to get down to the important conversations.

Get started with Dashbot

Conversations are the lifeblood of your business. Get customer insights and signals with a window into your dark data.